Monday 13 May 2013

Cake Smash - Tastic

"Cake smash?" questioned my neat and tidy husband.  "You're going to do what?"

"Cake Smash" is one of those shout out loud names that grabs your attention and conjures up images of patisserie vandalism and sticky mayhem in the minds of the uninitiated.  And why not?  It's got your attention hasn't it?  

Cake smash is a novel photo shoot idea from the USA (where else?) and involves putting a large, colourful and enticing cake in front of a one year old baby and watching what happens...well, actually photographing what happens.

I'd been interested in the idea ever since I heard about it, so last month I decided to do something about it.  Having read a number of blog posts written by American photographers who offer this shoot and having viewed many sample photos (some good, some bad) I decided how I wanted to shoot it and devised an approach for my own cake smash shoot. 

As luck would have it, I know a wonderful professional cake maker, Julie, from Sensation Cakes, who happily also has a baby of the right age.  We thoroughly enjoyed the shoot and we were all delighted with the final results.  No vandalism or cake slinging at all....just a delightful discovery of textures and tastes.  Babies are above all curious and it was beautiful to watch Sam take his first taste then watch his confidence grow as he explored the feeling of the icing in his hands....wonderful moments creating fabulous photo opportunities.  If you're interested in having a cake smash shoot for your baby's first birthday, then please contact me for details and prices.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment