Wednesday 16 September 2015

"What if I fall? Oh but my darling, what if you fly?"

THE WINNING SHOT
How fortuitous that I should see the above quote by Erin Hanson just as I was wondering how to caption my photograph of recently married professional acrobatic duo, Ian Fraser and Danuta Ramos ('Suspended Motion’). But perhaps finding just the right caption should not surprise me because from the very beginning, destiny seems to have played a part in the story of this shoot.
Hayley Allcoat setting up the embellished hoops.      Cassie, Helen's springer spaniel,thoroughly enjoying herself.
When Ian initially contacted me about photographing his wedding I was bouncing off the walls with excitement, especially when he told me that he and Danuta would be happy to create a few “alternative” Bride and Groom poses. The sad part is that I didn’t get the job. A photographer friend of Ian’s stepped up and I was out of the picture (who can resist a pun?) But, being the thoroughly lovely person he is, Ian said that if I ever wanted to do a photo shoot, he and Danuta would be delighted to work with me.

Pause for a change of topic. You know those Facebook competitions which pop up on your news feed every so often? Like and share to win a weekend break for two? Like and comment to win a 60” x 40” Alumni print from Loxely Colour (Loxley Colour is my pro-lab). Turns out yours truly was the lucky winner. What are the chances of that? The Alumni print is a thoroughbred wall product and at 60" x 40" it's very big and very expensive. This win was not to be taken lightly. More or less immediately, I knew that I wanted to shoot something special for my prize product. Something different; high impact. Something with acrobats perhaps.. Acrobats in wedding gear even. Now if only I knew some acrobats who had wedding gear…

I engaged top friend/stylist/florist/balloon supremo Hayley Allcoat to help with the creative styling of the shoot and another friend, professional make-up artist, Helen McNeill kindly agreed to create Danuta’s bridal make up, so we were all set.  We just needed a decent day…

A decent day proved to be a big ask. August was thoroughly unsettled with gusty wind and rain thwarting our shoot plan at every turn. Hayley and I had decided to create a subtle carnival atmosphere with giant balloons and embellished hula hoops against a backdrop of woodland and wild grass - the strong winds wouldn't work with the giant balloons so we postponed the shoot, and then postponed again. I was rapidly running out of time as there was a deadline for claiming my prize and August was also my busiest month of the year for wedding photography. In the end we simply had to pick a day and go for it. What a day it turned out to be. 


If anyone wants to repeat this pose on their wedding day, start training in plenty of time.
It was hot, but not too sunny, and blessedly the wind was light, so the balloons were not being tugged sideways. It was very hot work for Ian and Danuta holding these incredible poses - it's a good job we had set up our own "hospitality" gazebo, courtesy of another good friend.
That worked well!
Ian and Danuta taking a break from lifting.
I totally had to shoot some romantic images too - this one showcases the make up beautifully.
Loving these suspended hoops wrapped in muslin and ivy.
These large balloons make a wonderful prop for your wedding. 
Massive and heartfelt thanks to Ian and Danuta who delivered not only amazing lifts but also the passion and fire that I wanted to see in the final images. Thanks also to Hayley and Helen for working so hard on this shoot with me at their busiest time of the year and thanks also to Phil for setting up the gazebo and helping with everything on the day. I only needed one picture for my wall product, and the standout lift shot was simply perfect. I made the deadline and my amazing Alumni print is now displayed on my office wall for all to see, so big thanks go to Loxley Colour too. 
Juggling is a specialty, batons, brides....you name it, Ian's your guy.

To contact Ian and Danuta go to Suspended Motion
To contact Hayley Allcoat go to 1st for Balloons and Flowers
To contact Helen McNeill go to I Am Beauty and Make Up

Location: Blair Adam House walled garden
Contact: Blair Adam House    

No comments:

Post a Comment